Saturday, September 12, 2015

3.7 QRGs: the Genre

  1. What do the conventions of this genre - the Quick Reference Guide - seem to be? 
    1. To pack pertinent information into one page in what could easily be a lengthy topic.
  2. How are those conventions defined by the author’s formatting and design choices?
    1. They are chosen based on the audience and type of information to be conveyed.
  3. What does the purpose of these QRGs seem to be?
    1. To engage a focused reader and educate them about the major points of a topic.
  4. Who is the intended audience for these different QRGs? Are they all intended for similar audiences? Or different? How & why?
    1. Because QRGs are meant to cover very specific topics, they are meant for specific audiences who either will greatly benefit from or have a need to understand the topic.
  5. How do the QRGs use imagery or visuals? Why do you think they use them in this way?
    1. They are used at the beginning or as the initial draw of the QRG to instantly engage the reader.
After reading Felicia's and Oscar's blogs, I learned about some design details I hadn't noticed before. I also learned about how similar a QRG looks like Q&A formatting.

3 comments:

  1. You did a great job explaining what QRG's are meant for. I feel I had a bit of a problem trying to explain it myself. I do think imagery or visuals are also used to provide a picture to the reader. Sometimes a picture says a thousand words better than the author is trying to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that images help engage the reader and that a QRG helps audiences that have a need to understand the topic. I also feel they are intended for audiences who don't know anything about the topic and want a single source to explain it to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel that you have gotten the basic idea. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete