Saturday, October 17, 2015

8.1 Clarity, Part 1

  1. Active Verbs - I learned that replacing passive words with active verbs is especially important for scientific writing.
  2.  Balance parallel Ideas - I learned that when having parallel ideas should be executed with the same type across the ideas. Whether one uses verbs, nouns, or -ings.
  3. Needed words - I learned that excluding word can loose the meaning of the idea or confuse the reader due to lack of clarity.
  4. misplaced and dangling modifiers - I learned that modifiers must directly modify and usually are placed right before the word they modify to keep clarity.
Reflection: I found that there is much I can do in my own paper to increase clarity, especially with action verbs.I helped Jon Thomas by revising his sentence to have an active verb gains, "Sofge gains our attention by combining emotional and logical approach." I also helped Deborah Ortega by revising her sentence to have balanced parallel ideas by having them all be nouns, "Cultural/social articles attempt to convey their message through use of personal stories, anecdotes, repetition of keywords, humor, and images to influence the emotions of the audience."

1 comment:

  1. I personally found your take away about active verbs really helpful. I don't remember reading that, I probably skimmed over it. I do however wish that you would have said why it's important. Overall I think you explained everything very clearly and efficiently.

    ReplyDelete